ADW takes immense pride in providing you with high quality instruction in tap, ballet, song and dance, tumbling, and creative movement. Our goal is for your child to not only have an amazing time while in our classes, but also for each student to learn and master developmentally appropriate dance technique that will prepare them for success in higher levels of dance. We take every opportunity to use "teachable moments" to better prepare our dancers for Kindergarten by using numbers, colors, shapes, letters and more!
Dance is a powerful ally for developing many of the attributes of a growing child. Dance helps children mature physically, emotionally, socially, and cognitively. The physical benefits of dance are widely accepted, but the emotional, social and cognitive attributes have only recently begun to be appreciated. Children move naturally. They move to achieve mobility, they move to express a thought or feeling, and they move because it is joyful and feels wonderful. When their movement becomes consciously structured and is performed with awareness for its own sake, it becomes dance. It is our philosophy that we develop the “whole” dancer- each dancer should be given a strong base of technical skills to grow from. Subscribing to this philosophy allows our dancers to soar!
ADW has roots going back to 1965 when it was originally founded by Cathy Correa. Cathy's influence lives on today as many of her students are now the director, managers, and teachers.
Meet the Director!
Jennifer, affectionately called Skiby by everyone at AKSC, is a true product of American Dancers Workshop! She began her career with ADW at the age of 4 when she began dancing under our founder Cathy Correa. As a student she received training under many prestigious master instructors and attended two summer intensives with the Radio City Rockettes. She graduated from the University of Nevada Las Vegas with a BA in Communication Studies and a minor in Dance. She danced for Carnival Cruise Lines and was made Assistant Dance Captian as well performed in musicals such as "All Shook Up" in Las Vegas. She worked with Spotlight Dance Cup as a Show Director & Event Manager. Locally, she participates and choreographs for local theater productions. Of course, this is all in her spare time when she isn't creating the beautiful shows or writing curriculum for our ADW students! Skiby has been the Director since 2015, and is fully dedicated to enriching the lives of her students through dance.
Dance Discipline Descriptions
- BALLET is the foundation for all dance forms and will maximize technique and longevity in a career of dance. Provides grace, poise, & technique needed to be proficient in all other areas of dance; help dancers with posture, flexibility, fitness, balance, self-discipline, and self-confidence.
- TAP is characterized by using the sounds of tap shoes striking the floor as a form of percussion.
- JAZZ is an exploration of style and presentation; emphasize musicality and body alignment, conditioning, stretch and strengthening, rhythm and stylization as well as fun innovative choreography.
- HIP-HOP incorporates a variety of old and new urban dance styles; represents body movements that go with the beat and rhythm of hip hop music. It is very dynamic and helps the dancers improve flexibility, develop body balance and coordination.
- Combines ballet and modern techniques with musical and emotional expression with a strong focus on modern techniques (contractions and release, off-center balances and suspension) as well as musicality and self expression.
- Musical Theater
- MUSICAL THEATER students MUST also be enrolled in a Ballet or Jazz class for skills. Class introduces dance forms found in musical theater, incorporating elements of ballet, jazz, and modern; will also act, play drama games, and sing! Learn the Broadway Jazz style influenced by Bob Fosse and musicals like Annie, Oklahoma, and Grease.
- Dance Tumbling
- Tumbling classes designed for the dance program.
Dance - Pre K Classes
- Class Name
- Tiny Stars
- 2.5 - 3 Yrs
Tiny Star dance classes develop healthy muscles and bones as well as enhance your small fry’s flexibility and coordination. Plus, they’re a fun and safe way to start socialization, providing early exposure to group situations and activities. What’s more, dance classes for two-year-olds tap into children’s innate love of all things music.
Dance - Instructional Levels
Here at American Dancers Workshop we use age & levels to separate and determine the difficulty of each class. Personal development & growth is what we strive for; only with time and dedication will a dancer get the proper skills and foundations needed for each level. Unlike other sports, dancers do not bridge up to the next level after every season. It is very likely that a dancer will spend at least 2-3 years in each level before mastering the skills needed to move up. Each dancer is unique along with each discipline!
Need help? Email us or call us at 661-589-2100.
- Class Name
Dance Nuts and Bolts
- 2017 Summer Dance
- July 2nd - Aug 19th
- One price unlimited opportunities!
Summer Dance is where you can try new things and really build your dancer's skill set for one low price! Summer Dance is 7 weeks long, we allow you to sign up for multiple classes per week and drop into the rest!
Tiny Stars: $99 for 1 class per week
Pre K: Option 1 - $99 for 1 class per week
Pre K: Option 2 - $159 for 3 classes per week
Into Level and Above: $159 for 5 classes per week
Drop in Rules:
- Students are allowed to drop into classes they are age and skill appropriate for.
- Students fill spots on a first come first served basis untill classes reach their max limit for the day.
- 2017-18 Dance Season
- Aug 27th, 2017 - June 23rd, 2018
What to Wear
- 2018 Summer Dance
- July 1st - Aug
- Pre K
Any color leotard or one piece leo/skirt combo
Ballet & Tap Shoes
Tan, pink or black tights must be worn
• Plain colored leotard
• Pink tights
• Pink Ballet shoes
**(Ballet Skirts are permitted but students may be asked to remove them if they become a distraction)
- Tap, Jazz & Contemporary
• Biker Shorts
• Jazz or Tap Shoes
• Crop Top & Biker Shorts
• Tan, pink or black tights must be worn
- Hip Hop
• Leggings, sweatpants, basketball shorts
• T-shirts, tank tops
• Flat bottom tennis shoes or high tops
• NO JEANS OR SCHOOL CLOTHESBallet Recital Info
- Ballet Finale Run Through
- June 2018 TBA
- This rehearsal will be held in the Multi Purpose room at our AKSC NW location. At this rehearsal our ballet dancers will learn a short finale that will be performed at the end of our ballet production.
- In House Ballet Run Through
- June 2018 TBA
- This rehearsal will be held in the Multi Purpose room at our AKSC NW location. During the rehearsal, each cast will run the entire ballet from top to bottom.
- Ballete Tech Run Through
- June 2018 TBA
- This rehearsal will take place at our showcase venue, the Harvey auditorium, BHS. Hair must be in bun for this rehearsal, but stage makeup is not necessary. At this rehearsal we will be running the ballet with all of our backdrops and sets, as well as setting the lighting and stage cues. Dancers must bring costumes with them to change into so we can see what lights look best with each costume.
Key Dance Staff
- Brenlea Smith
- Totally Cool Recreational Dance Manager
- Cece Castillio
- Phenomenal Competitive Team Manager
- Kristen Baguio
- Alissa Garza
ADW Competitive Dance Team
Here at ADW, our competitive team provides an encouraging enviornment while allowing our students to push themselves and create lifelong friendships. ADW Team is for the dancer who is deicated and willing to go the extra mile. Jazz hands required!
- Class Name
- Dance Team
- 6 & up
- Future Stars
- 4 - 6 Yrs
Future stars is a pre-competitive class for students who show above average talent and potential. This class is for students who are interested in pursuing dance at a competiitive level. This class is designed to kick start athletes' flexibility and skills to prepare them for competition team. Email our director for more information!
Upcoming ADW Events
ADW Competition Team Events
- Team Auditions
- August 12th 2017
- ADW is holding open auditions for the 2017-2018 Competition Team! All students ages 5+ are welcome. Come out and show us your skills!
When and Where:
- August 12th, 2017
- NW Location in MP Room Upstairs
- Mandatory Parent Meeting at 10:00am
- All Dancers Called at 10:30am
What to Wear:
Students MUST be in ALL BLACK attire and bring both Tap and Jazz shoes!
Please pick up an application at the hospitality desk and return it completed by August 1st! You must also register for the competition team auditions camp online through our parent portal.
**There is a non refundable $10 registration feeRecreational Performances
- Christmas Recital
- December 16th 2017
- Details Coming Soon!
- End of Season Recitals
- June 22 & 23, 2018
- Details Coming Soon
American Dancers Workshop has been such a blessing to our family. My daughter has danced there for several years now and they are nothing short of amazing! The staff from the front desk to the instructors are always helpful and friendly. The teachers continue to grow my daughter to be the best dancer she can be and we are so thankful for all of them. There is no place we would rather be!!
American Dancers Workshop has provided my daughter with a warm and welcoming environment where she has not only established a strong foundation in dance but has also grown into a strong and competitive dancer. The director and her staff are wonderful and very dedicated to their profession and students. They have created a positive atmosphere within the studio which has enabled my daughter to form everlasting friendships. We love ADW!